Are you California Dreaming? There are so many images of California in film and television, that we may feel we already know it, but the most populous state in the USA has so much to offer that the only real way to experience it is to go and discover it for yourself on your very own California Holiday or California Fly-Drive. The Coast Range mountains, provide a stunning backdrop to a spectacular coastline dotted with small towns and wonderful beaches, further inland is the towering peaks of the Sierra Nevada, a mountain range which form California’s eastern boundary and is home to Yosemite National Park, and some of North America’s best ski resorts. Northern California is rugged and wild, and cooler than the south – an ideal climate for the Giant Redwood Trees and the Napa Valley wine region. Southern California is completely different – hot and sunny year round with an arid desert landscape. In a state which contains both flurries of snow capped peaks and desert, you are guaranteed to be amazed by the incredible variety of spectacular scenery.
Then there are the cities. Los Angeles – a sprawling metropolis, home to Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Sunset Boulevard, Santa Monica and of course the theme parks of Disneyland and Universal Studios. LA with all its brash glamour and glitz and fast pace contrasts with the relaxed atmosphere of San Francisco – a particular favourite of ours for its no-car required compactness and beautiful location with the Golden Gate Bridge standing proudly across the bay. Then there is San Diego which sits on the border with Mexico and is worth a visit for its Old Town, Sea World and the famous Zoo.
A perfect way to visit is on a California Fly-Drive Holiday. Get behind the wheel and hit the open highways of this huge State. Millington Travel has been tailor-making clients’ trips exploring California and beyond for 30 years. So whatever your interests are, from hiking to horse riding, from wine-tasting to skiing, from celebrity spotting to cycling, we are the people to book with.
Millington Travel’s top ten places to visit in California
- San Francisco – Every hill gives you a different view of this incredible city.
- Muir Woods – Over the Golden Gate Bridge, stop at Sausalito for lunch and head on to the famous Giant Redwoods.
- Yosemite National Park – The Great Outdoors California style. See the famous waterfall over the face of El Capitan.
- Pacific Coast Highway – A coast hugging road winding its way between the shining Pacific Ocean and the steep cliffs.
- Wine Tasting in Napa Valley – a beautiful landscape, perfect for sampling world-class wines.
- Santa Monica Beach & Pier. At the end of famous Route 66, you’ll find one of the finest beach resorts in California.
- Hollywood, Beverly Hills & Sunset Boulevard. Hang around with A list celebs. The glitz, the glamour, Rodeo Drive shopping. It’s all here.
- Alcatraz. An absolute must! See what life was like for the inmates of this most famous of prisons. Could you escape?
- San Diego Zoo & Sea World. The World renowned for conservation but also a delight for all.
- Disneyland & Universal Studios. The original theme parks.. amazing thrills for the whole family.
When to go?
The answer is.. it depends on what you want to do. For a fly-drive holiday you’ll find some roads closed in the north of the state in winter so May onwards is best, but then in the summer months you’ll experience sizzling heat in the south, so the best time for a fly drive is May-June and September-November. The big cities on the coast rarely get too hot or cold and can be visited any time of year, so if it’s the cities which interest you then any time of year is fine.